Featured Post

Be Still and Know That I am God

Still and Know that I am God This Blog has come into being through events that occurred last year within my ...

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Day 2 Flower City Work Camp

I am not a writer.  Not even a true "blogger".  I have just found that typing allows me to process my day better.  And processing the events that have occured over the past two days at Flower City Work Camp has been difficult due to the amount of things that have happened in a short period of time.

Yesterday brought a wave of summer like heat for us.  It was in the low 80's.  We were all in shorts and capris.  Kids were playing outside...which made it easy to round them up for our Sidewalk Club.  We had 35 kids attend on each of the two sites!  Each of us had a boldness that is hard to explain as we went door to door inviting kids to join us.  You see, one of the lots where we were hosting our club was the same lot where drugs were being bought and sold.  We actually saw a drug exchange happening the first day we were there.  I was told by a grandparent of one of the children attending, that our other lot had a drug house on the same street.  She commented that she never felt safe there, and would never be out after dark.  While the teens were with the kids, I tried to talk to the parents or caregivers that stayed behind.  I am always fascinated by people.  Their life stories grip me.  Their hardships sadden me.  The lady I met had quit her job to help keep her grandchildren during the day.  She wanted to give her grandkids an upbringing that she had been able to give her own kids.  Hopefully, her sacrifice will keep them off the streets.

Today was the extreme opposite as far as the weather goes.  It started off raining.  Turned to sleet and eventually ended as snow.  We were frozen by the end of both sessions!  But it was well worth it due to several praying and asking Jesus to be Lord of their life!  What a beautiful sight to see prayers being spoken and hearts being changed.  My prayer is that someone can come along side them after we are gone and help them grow in their relationship with The Lord.  One of the boys I had the opportunity to talk with seems very interested in hearing how God has changed my life.  When I asked him if he would like to  have this free gift of salvation, he told me that he wanted to think about it tonight and he would let me know tomorrow!

I'm unable to keep writing....I'm feeling pretty tired at the moment.  But here are some bullet points of the events over the past two days.....

-Wonderful group of teens that I have been blessed to hang with who are enthusicastic for The Lord.
-A wonderful and greatly organized adult partner/leader who has been an encourager for all of us.
-Had an incident with a stranger who looked like he was hiding something under his coat and cut through our kids....twice.... and then disappeared.
-A granddad of one of the kids told me that he was a pagan but interested in hearing what God had done in my life.
-A group on a prayer walk met a muslim gentleman that said he could not pray with our group, but would appreciate them praying for him.
-Rochester police department coming by and checking on us.
-Over 70 kids plus some parents hearing the gospel!

God is so good.  People ....we are all the same.  We all desire to be heard and to be loved.

Here are a few photos over the course of two days....Enjoy!

Getting ready to leave for our first Sidewalk Club!

Anna Marcy with one of our campers...

KiKi Vetter and her new friend....

Katie Rose and Becky Corwin reaching out to the older group.....

Katie Rose doing the "flipper flapper"....sharing the gospel with this precious girl.


Olya Meyers and KiKi Vetter interacting with the kids,,,,

Olya Myers with her beautiful smile.....

Faith Cymbal....sharing a song during down time....

Rachel Cymbal getting ready for the day.....



Justin Borak, Olya Meyer and Becky Corwin practicing skits.....
Kaela Sittig, Nicky D'Angelo and Emma Stone doing motions to our wonderful songs......

Kaela Sittig dancing....

Justin Borak....doing what he does best...DRAMA! :-)


Anna Marcy and Becky Corwin...loving on our kiddos




Taking a break to warm up and fill up!  :-)



I FINALLY get to see Savannah Butters and Allison Hall!



Sylus Vazquez...unwinding after a long, cold day at sidewalk club!  

I will do my best to get more pics of the LCS and Grace Road group tomorrow!














No comments:

Post a Comment